Sunday, September 28, 2008

Verasion


Verasion: the annual life cycle of the grape on the vine.

On my first day of class I learned the term verasion and the nine steps that compose a single life cycle of the grape.

The first step? Weeping.

No, the irony is not lost on me. Want to hear the definition of Weeping? From Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia: Weeping is the first sign of the vine awakening after a winter of relative dormancy. (p.23)

Frickin' awakening.

First, apologies all around for my lack of communication. I know I promised to update this blog immediately, but I was a little unprepared for, well, my new life.

Moving Day (Sunday the 21st) was much easier than I anticipated. All persons involved retained their limbs, dignity and sanity. An extra shout-out to Dad, Brett, Christy and The Powers That Be for their invaluable help.

My new place is beautiful. Meets my standards and even exceeds them. (Those of you who know me well know that's high praise from this redhead.) I hope to post some pictures of the joint as soon as the last few boxes are cleared away. The room that I'm renting comes complete with a roommate, Miss Andrea (Ahn-drea). We clicked right away, staying up well into the night sharing stories and frequently exclaiming, "Me too!" Our personalities are a great match. It may have something to do with the fact that we share the same birthdate. I'm just sayin'.

I really like Northern California. The weather is about 10-15 degrees cooler than LA and, although I am a Southern California girl at heart, there is something in the air up here that makes me instantly comfortable.

And, yes, I may be a bit swayed by the glorious Whole Foods sent from the Gods within walking distance of my new pad. It's the size of two football fields and has underground parking. I'm not kidding when I say I teared up when I first stepped inside.

I know, I know. You're all thinking, "With all this good stuff, what's with the weeping?"

Well, I haven't told you about school yet now, have I?

The first day was rough. Really rough. I didn't call and talk to any of you rough. I had to work it all out in my head before I brought it to y'all. Thankfully, Dana and Duncan provided wine, cheese and chocolate the first night after class which helped cushion the blow immensely. I am incredibly lucky to have such amazing support 6.44 miles away.

Here's the thing. Okay things. 1. I have not been in school in quite awhile. Three hour lectures are long since a thing of my past. 2. The instructor we had for the first three days (Wed-Fri) was, shall we say, not encouraging. Emphasis was heavily placed on not making any money in this job, that the testing process (which she failed to elaborate on) is impossibly difficult and how, really, the sommelier is simply a servant to the chef. 3. Let's just kindly say, I'm warming up to my fellow students. The first day was a little chilly. And I have been told I can make conversation with a tree.

To make a long deliberation process in my brain short, I have reconciled all issues above. My Capricornian brain just had to formulate a plan to help me move forward. Wanna hear the plan? I'M GOING TO KICK THE WINE WORLD'S ASS. Simple. Direct. Possible.

Friday I tasted twenty five glasses of wine. No, that's not a typo. Twenty five. We had to distinguish smell, acidity levels, sugar levels, tannin levels and alcohol levels. I rocked it. I can do this. And now, I'm looking forward to it.

Bring on week two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS on getting through Week 1, Heathyr! All first days/weeks are difficult. How many new jobs have I started and not come home to weep about leaving the comfort of my previous job. You ARE going to Kick ASS! You are a rock star and bring so much to the table. That teacher is doing her job by trying to weed out the wannabes! And you are not going to let her get to you because you are GREAT at what you do and are going to learn so much in the next few months. Don't worry about your fellow students too much...you are there for a short period of time to get your job done. A good working relationship with your fellow students is all you need. I'm sure you'll have plenty of support from Dana, Duncan and your roomie.
Miss you but am so happy you are taking this opportunity and running with it! Very inspiring!
Love
Jennifer